Educational equity for women and girls has been the primary focus of AAUW programs for a number of years. The Association, through the Educational Foundation, has conducted and published a number of studies on how gender makes the difference in the way boys and girls are taught in school to the detriment of the girls. The Deerfield Area Branch has supported the Association efforts by holding a number of branch and public meetings on equity, sponsoring a career day for junior high school girls and placing copies of AAUW research reports in local libraries.
Great Decisions meets on eight consecutive Wednesday afternoons in February and March to study and discuss current international issues, using a study guide published by the Foreign Policy Association.
Daytime Book Group
Daytime Book Group meets the second Monday of each month from 12:45. December meets at noon. Contact Dee Cavanaugh for Locations email@example.com.
Day Time 2018 – 2019 Reading List
Evening Book Group
Evening Book Group meets at 7:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month. Exceptions: Wed., Nov. 14 at 7:30 p.m. and Sats., Jan. 5 and Feb. 2 at 10:30 a.m. Contact Donna Hicks for locations.
Evening 2018 – 2019 Reading List
- Sep. 5 Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk – Kathleen Rooney
- Oct. 3 Underground Railroad – Colson Whitehead
- Nov. 14 Excellent Women – Barbara L. Pym
- Dec. 5 The Hunting Ground – Kirby Dick
- Jan. 5 Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine – Gail Honeyman
- Feb. 2 Born a Crime – Trevor Noah
- Mar. 6 Varina – Charles Frazier
- Apr. 3 America’s First Daughter – Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie
- May 8 Yellow Crocus – Laila Ibrahim
- June 5 The Secret History of Wonder Woman – Jill LePore
- July tbd Book Selection Brunch
Branch members, spouses, and friends are invited to participate. Cultural excursions are planned throughout the 2018 – 2019 schedule.
This group meets the first Tuesday of the month at 12:30 p.m. New members and regular substitutes are welcome.