Educational equity for women and girls has been the primary focus of AAUW programs for a number of years. The Association, through the Educational Foundation, has conducted and published a number of studies on how gender makes the difference in the way boys and girls are taught in school to the detriment of the girls. The Deerfield Area Branch has supported the Association efforts by holding a number of branch and public meetings on equity, sponsoring a career day for junior high school girls and placing copies of AAUW research reports in local libraries.
Great Decisions meets on eight consecutive Wednesday afternoons in February and March to study and discuss current international issues, using a study guide published by the Foreign Policy Association.
Daytime Book Group
Daytime Book Group meets the second Monday of each month from 12:45. December meets at noon. Contact Barbara Thomas for Locations 312/587-9087, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Day Time 2017 – 2018 Reading List
Evening Book Group
Evening Book Group meets at 7:30 pm on the first Wednesday of each month. Exceptions: Saturday Jan 6, February 3 – at 10:30am. Contact Dee Cavanaugh for email@example.com.
Evening 2017 – 2018 Reading List
- Sep. 6 The Marriage of Opposites – Alice Hoffman
- Oct. 4 A Gentleman in Moscow – Amor Towles
- Nov. 1 Hillbilly Elegy – J.D. Vance
- Dec. 6 Commonwealth – Ann Patchett
- Jan. 6 Neverhome – Laird Hunt
- Feb. 3 Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City – Matthew Desmond
- Mar. 7 News of the World – Paulette Jiles
- Apr. 4 The Boston Girl – Anita Diamant
- May 2 Girl at War – Sara Novik
- June 6 Old Heart – Peter Ferry
- July tbd Pick the Books Luncheon
Branch members, spouses, and friends are invited to participate. Cultural excursions are planned throughout the 2017 – 2018 schedule.
This group meets the first Tuesday of the month at 12:30 p.m. New members and regular substitutes are welcome.