Educational equity for women and girls has been the primary focus of AAUW programs for a number of years. The Association, through the Educational Foundation, has conducted and published a number of studies on how gender makes the difference in the way boys and girls are taught in school to the detriment of the girls. The Deerfield Area Branch has supported the Association efforts by holding a number of branch and public meetings on equity, sponsoring a career day for junior high school girls and placing copies of AAUW research reports in local libraries.
Great Decisions meets on eight consecutive Wednesday afternoons in February and March to study and discuss current international issues, using a study guide published by the Foreign Policy Association.
Daytime Book Group
Daytime Book Group meets the second Monday of each month from 12:45. December meets at noon. Contact Barbara Thomas for Locations 312/587-9087, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book Groups 2016 – 2017 Reading List
2016 – 2017 Reading List
- Sep. 12 The Secret Keeper – Kate Morten
- Oct. 10 The Wright Brothers – David McCullough
- Nov. 14 A Backpack, A Bear, and Eight Crates of Vodka – Lileane Schwarz
- Dec. 12 The Man in the Wooden Hat – Jane Gardam (luncheon)
- Jan. 16 Between the World and Me – Ta-nehisti Coates
- Feb. 13 America’s First Daughter – Stephanie Dray
- Mar. 13 The Dream Lover – Elizabeth Berg
- Apr. 10 Enchanted Islands – Allison Arnand
- May 8 Lila – Marilynne Robinson
- July 10 Pick the Books Luncheon
Evening Book Group
Evening Book Group meets at 7:30 pm on the first Wednesday of each month. Exceptions: Saturday Jan 4, February 1 – at 10:30am. Contact Cynthia Andersen for locations: 708/363-3791 email@example.com.
2016 – 2017 Reading List
- Sep. 7 Us – David Nicholls
- Oct. 5 The Signature of All Things – Elizabeth Gilbert
- Nov. 2 Everything I Never Told You – Celeste Ng
- Dec. 7 The Last Painting of Sara De Vos – Dominic Smith
- Jan. 7 The Nightingale – Kirsten Hannah
- Feb. 4 Circling the Sun – Paula McLain
- Mar. 1 Everybody’s Fool – Richard Russo
- Apr. 5 A Man Called Ove – Fredrik Backman
- May 3 The Turner House – Angela Flournoy
- June 7 We Never Asked for Wings – Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Branch members, spouses, and friends are invited to participate. Cultural excursions are planned throughout the 2016 – 2017 schedule. Please join us for our Ravinia Outing at 4:00pm on August 6, 2017, Mancini and Moon River with James Galway.
This group meets the first Tuesday of the month at 12:30 p.m. New members and regular substitutes are welcome.